Get on Your Feet Britain
On Your Feet Day
Today, Friday 26th April, is officially ‘On Your Feet Day.’ On Your Feet Day is a national celebration which aims to get people across Britain united to participate in a variety of fun and simple activities whilst at work; ultimately making us #SitLess and #MoveMore.
It is estimated that on average, British people sit for 8.9 hours each day! However, research has produced compelling evidence that sitting for more than 4 hours a day could potentially lead to:
- Reduced calorie burning (Metabolic Rate)
- Disrupted blood sugar levels
- Increased insulin and blood pressure levels
- Leg muscles switch off & collapsed posture
This could then lead to increased risk of suffering from a host of illnesses: Heart Disease, Diabetes, Obesity, Cancer, Backache, Dementia, Depression and muscle degeneration, to name but a few.
Sit Less, Move More
These facts are incredibly powerful. Did you also know that Physical INACTIVITY is one of the biggest causes of premature death; according to the World Health Organization. Here at Tonic, we believe that more awareness needs to be made to help us (all) be more active in the workplace. The aim of On Your Feet Day is simple: replace ‘sitting time’ with ‘standing time.’ Therefore, let’s get supporting it!
Proposed changes throughout the working day could include:
- Standing up during phone calls
- Standing and taking a break from your computer every 30 minutes
- Using the stairs instead of lifts
- Have standing or walking meetings
- Eating your lunch away from your desk
- Walking to your colleague’s desk instead of phoning or emailing them
- Standing at the back of the room during presentations
It has been estimated that 2 million of us will participate in today’s event. Find out more about OYFD or download the official flyer here.
Let’s Get Britain Standing Together
According to a survey carried out by Active Working, the majority of office-based workers are aware of the health dangers of spending hours on end seated at their desks, but unfortunately company managers are failing to respond to their needs.
300 organisations across the country took part in the survey and signed up to the Get Britain Standing campaign. The following results were found:
- Despite 85% stating their employer cared about their health yet 40% said their job made it difficult to be more active during the working day.
- Almost 50% of companies have policies or advice about the need for staff to reduce the amount of time they spend seated in the workplace
- 23% admitted that they could make more of an effort themselves to cut their sedentary time during working hours
Move More With Tonic
Modern levels of physical inactivity are having a detrimental effect on our health – FACT. So here at Tonic, we are passionate about making sure we are all more active throughout our day – every day. And, as we are spending so much more time at work, the workplace is a great place to start!
“ Breaking up sitting time engages your muscles and bones, and gives all our bodily functions a boost – a bit like revving a car’s engine ” Professor Dunstan
As office-based workers from time to time, the Tonic team appreciate that meeting the recommendations is no easy task.
Therefore we have come up with some strategies that could be used to start to support office workers in achieving and maintaining the recommendations in a sustainable way. We want to empower you to feel better, be more energised and more active.
We can engage with staff and provide both simple strategies that of focus on ACTIVITY – this critical, but often ignored pillar of wellbeing.
Our Smooth Move workshop is centred around just this and has so far been hugely successful. See our ‘MOVE MORE, SIT LESS’ PDF to get a taste for some of the great tips that could be tried by everyone. The workshop is packed with guidelines, powerful facts, motivational tips and take home tools to help you feel better by moving more and sitting less. It’s fun, interactive and just 60 minutes.
Have a great day Britain, and remember – GET ON YOUR FEET!